Monday 28 March 2011

That was fish, really?

"That was fish, really?" says my 7 year old daughter, who can be a very picky eater at times, and flat out refuses to eat anything from the ocean. But we live on the west coast and have access to such an abundance of seafood. Not to mention, it's so good for our bodies, what with all the omega-3s and protein it contains; plus it's super low-fat.


From time to time, I will be blogging about recipes I've made for my family. Never will I recommend a recipe I haven't already made myself and served to my family and no, I have no affiliation or loyalty to any chef/website/cookbook, etc. I just pick recipes I think look tasty and test them out. If they're good, I might recommend to others, if they're awful, they go in the garbage. Period.

So Saturday night I decided to test out a recipe I've had my eye on for a while: Fish Tacos. I bought the lightest, mildest white fish I could find (Tilapia) and got to work. My kids had no idea what I was making, and rarely do for that matter, unless I'm baking, in which case they love to help.


Results: This was one of the simplest and quickest things I've made in a long time, plus it tasted delicious. Absolutely loaded with fresh ingredients, it's easy, super yummy, and can be made under the broiler in winter or on the grill in summer. But the biggest bonus was that the fish was so mild that my daughter ate 2 tacos, stuffed with toppings, before casually remarking, "It kinda' looks like fish, mum." I waited until she had completely finished her 2nd taco before telling her, with a grin, "that's because it was fish, sweetie." "Hmmm," she says, "it was good." And with that comment, this recipe became a keeper.


Full recipe and nutritional information below.


Fish Tacos
Ingredients
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 tsp lime juice
1/4 cup light sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tbsp minced fresh coriander/cilantro
1 green onion, minced
8-12 small corn tortillas
1 lb tilapia fillets or catfish fillets
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Preparation:
Fish: On plate, combine oil, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper; add fish and turn to coat. Place on greased grill; close lid and grill, turning once, until fish flakes easily when tested, about 5 minutes. Alternately, place seasoned fish on greased baking sheet and broil until fish flakes easily, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine carrot, red onion, and lime juice. In separate small bowl, combine sour cream, coriander, and green onion. Break fish into chunks; divide among tortillas. Top with sour cream mixture, carrot mixture, tomato, and avocado.

Nutritional Info Per Serving, based on 4 servings.
Cal 447; Pro 31g; Total fat 17g; Sat fat 4g; Carbs 45g; Fibre 6g; Chol 53mg; Sodium 541mg
Source: Canadian Living Magazine: March 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment