Wednesday 11 January 2012

The Revolving Door


Some days life with diabetes seems so busy. And I'm not just talking regular busy, I'm talking insanely, over the edge, almost too much too handle busy. This has been the case for us lately.

Years ago I worked in the marketing industry. I was in my mid-twenties, with a communications degree and some very ambitious career goals. My oldest was 4 and Dylan was born 3 months into what I thought at the time was my dream job. I worked 70 hour weeks and traveled 1 week out of every 6. It was a crazy job; so much so that one of my coworkers at the time said that working for that company made him feel like "he was standing in a revolving door during a hurricane." At the time I thought it was quite a clever simile, but then again, I thought my life was busy then. I had no idea how prolific his words truly were.

I had no idea what busy was.

Last night I watched "I Don't Know How She Does It" with Sarah Jessica Parker. A semi-entertaining movie about how a working mom with 2 small kids balances everything in her life. And yet all I kept thinking while watching it was, seriously? She thinks that's busy?

She has no idea what busy is.

Busy is being a parent of a child with diabetes. Between the day to day care, the worry, the nighttime sugar checks, the highs, the lows, the carb counting, and the juggling of basal rates and exercise, it can be pretty onerous at times, but it's manageable. Then throw in a teenager who seems to have given up on school altogether and is at risk of failing the year, and a d-mama who has been completely blindsided and slapped across the face with the wicked head cold, and what do you get? Busy like it's never been before. And as if that's not enough, the child with diabetes is sent home from school mid-morning with what appears to be a fever and a sore throat; possibly the beginnings of a flu.

It's gone from simply busy to diabolically bananas.

All in a typical week of a d-mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment