Thursday 12 January 2012

Unsolicited Advice

I cannot even begin to count how many times I have been given unsolicited advice about diabetes. "Eat this," "drink that," "take this," "do that." There are so many supposed quick fixes and "cures" for diabetes, ranging from dietary choices, to supplements, to activities, etc. and yet none of them actually work. 

As a parent of a child with type 1 diabetes, I wish and hope for the day there IS a cure, but until then, it both frustrates and saddens me to receive unsolicited advice about a cure.

Today I stumbled upon this cartoon about a cure for the common cold (which I am suffering from myself at the moment) and was immediately struck by how easily it could also be applied to diabetes...


3 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh, this is so perfect a cartoon... I feel the same as you. People always want to tell me all the things I did wrong, or all the things I need to change, or all the miracle things I need to be testing out... it gets old. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more on this. Every body is different, and diabetes is so complex it affects everyone differently - it even changes day to day for the individual. I get so irritated when people tell me that my husband "needs to take better care of himself." UGH

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This cartoon is right on target! I hate when people look at my food and then say, "are you supposed to be eating that?" I just think it's RUDE!! Lol! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete