Monday 6 February 2012

Sweatbetes ~ The Year at Glance

I have big plans this year when it comes to exercise. BIG PLANS. Racing is calling my name, and it's long overdue that I started listening.

Winter has been far too idle for me. I have spent countless hours sitting, and sitting, and sitting, and now I need to just get out there and start moving. This week marks the beginning of my half marathon training for the BMO Vancouver Marathon in May, which will kick off the series of road events I have planned for the summer. Here they are in a nutshell...

May
BMO Vancouver Marathon (half-marathon), Sunday May 6th. It's will be my 3rd time doing this race, though the course is totally new this year. Yay, no more super-long hill out of Stanley Park!
North Shore Spring Triathlon (sprint tri), Monday, May 21st. First time for this one. It's a 740m pool swim (20 lengths), 17.6km bike time trial, 5km trail & road run.

June
Tough Mudder, Saturday & Sunday, June 23rd & 24th, Whistler. Next to the Cyclebetes National Relay, this will be the highlight of my summer. I am SO excited about this one! A 10-12 mile course designed by British Special Forces, that combines running with military-style obstacles in icy cold water, mud, and hilly terrain. The same race runs both days, I haven't decided yet which day I'll do.

July
Valley First Granfondo Axel Merckx, July 8th, Penticton. 160km road race through the stunning Okanagan Valley.
RBC Kelowna Granfondo, July 14th, Kelowna. 115km road race from Kelowna to Vernon and back. This one is a maybe.

August
nothing planned at this time, perhaps another triathlon.

September
Cyclebetes National Relay, Sept 6th-9th (possibly 6th-13th), Vancouver to Calgary. My 3rd year in row riding with the BC Provincial Team. This year we ride 1005km over 4 days. I may ride the 2nd leg too, from Calgary to Winnipeg, a distance of 1345km. This event is the highlight of my year; the one I look forward to all summer, because it combines two things I am ultimately passionate about: diabetes awareness and cycling.
Surrey International World Music Marathon, Sept 30th. My very first full marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment