Thursday 12 April 2012

Stream of Consciousness ~ HAWMC, Day 12


Stream of Consciousness Day. Start with the sentence "This morning I looked in the mirror..." just write, don't stop, don't edit. Post.

This morning I looked in the mirror hoping that it would be a good day. Working as a TOC (teacher-on-call), every day is an adventure. A new school, new classroom, and new students brings a myriad of new challenges - some good, some not. I literally never know what I am going to walk into and today is no exception. I will be teaching in the same class today and tomorrow. I know it's a primary classroom (Kindergarten to grade 3) but I don't know which grade yet, and the school is one I have been to many times before, though not in the past few months. It is a challenging school, to put it mildly; a lot of the students come from difficult circumstances, family problems, financial issues, and a high percentage of the students have specific learning and/or behavior needs.

It is a school that can lead a teacher to really reflect on WHY they teach because this is a school where one caring teacher can truly make a difference in the life of a child. But it is also a school that can break a teacher. I need to be at the top of my game today.

Other thoughts that briefly ran through my mind this morning included:

  • What the heck happened to the Vancouver Canucks last night? In an embarrassing playoff series opener, my team, the President's Cup winners, lost to the L.A. Kings, the eighth place seed. Too many penalties, injuries to key players, and perhaps a bit of overconfidence, did them in. Here's hoping they turn it around.
  • Spring has finally arrived! The sun is shining, birds are singing, and it's finally warm outside. Time for a pedicure.
  • I hope my daughter is having fun. She's away at an outdoor camp with her grade 3 class. She has been looking forward to it since grade 1, and I'm sure she's having a fabulous time, but I miss her terribly and can't wait to see her tomorrow!
* Late addition: my class was terrific and I had a lovely day. I am excited to be back there again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment